Re: [SLUG] ping problems with BIND9 - SemiSolved

From: Mike Branda (realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 16:34:31 EST

> <snip>
>

> > So Here's what I've got in case anybody's interested. Somewhere along
> > the line I must have failed to mention that I'm using SuSE 9.1 as the
> > client. Herein lies the problem....apparently SuSE decided to go the
> > zeroconf route with /lib/libresolv.so.2 and anything that uses the
> > ".local" top level automatically tries to go to multicast for
> > resolution. I'm still doing research as to solutions. One guy just
> > copied an older libresolv from 9.0 and that worked. Indeed it does.
> > I've tried it. But who know what else they've changed so That's going
> > to be a last resort until I get a chance to check the source. Other
> > options seem to be to pick another "fake" non-likely internal domain
> > name. Here's one of the more informative links that explains how this
> > has already been done in apple's Rendezvous and MS for multicast
> > lookups.
>
> Excuse my ignorance. This isn't in my area of expertise. I can't solve
> your problem, but I had a couple of questions.
>
> What you're saying is that when you set up your local domains with the
> suffix ".local", the version of the resolver library on SuSE 9.1 tries
> to multicast for resolution. Right?
>
> It seems like the resolver library would have two choices: 1) anything
> not an internet TLD (.com, .org, .biz, etc.) would be considered
> "local"; 2) the ".local" domain is considered local. This leads to my
> questions:
>
> I realize this is probably not practical for you, but if you changed
> your suffix to something like ".lan", would it make a difference? Second
> question is: is the ".local" suffix standard practice for local domains?
>
> Paul

Paul,

yeah, since I'm seting up a new local domain I could make the top level
.dnsisweird if I wanted to and yes it would work. It appears that only
.local has now been reserved for the zeroconf lookup multicast thing. I
just was following the setup example that I found using .local (which
made sense at the time) and after proper setup, the SuSE 9.1 Client was
failing. It just turned out it's because of the lib. The only
solutions I've got so far are what you mentioned and replacing libresolv
(part of glibc) if I want to be stubborn. I guess the thing that has to
be determined is the Mac OS X workstations on my network have the whole
Rendezvous ".local" thing setup by default using the multicast model. I
assume I can ditch the .local arrangement on them but I haven't gotten
to check it out yet. Friday was the big revelation as to why .local
wasn't even working on the 9.1 box. Another question I guess would be
if Mandrake, SuSE, MS and Apple have adopted this model, is it the next
generation or a better model for localnet dns resolution??

Mike