[SLUG] CUPS and Xerox

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 09:36:55 EST

Well, I managed in reasonably short order to sort through all the
irrelevant crap in the vast number of online "tutorials", "howtos", and
other resources for now to get network printers working from Linux to
glean enough information to get started. From that, I managed to figure
out what I needed to know (through trial and error) to finish setting it
all up (since all those tutorials, howtos, and so on were woefully
incomplete). The end result is that, after thirty minutes of sifting
through mostly irrelevant or broken instructions, twenty minutes of
hunting for the right PPD files, and twenty minutes of figuring out the
idiosyncrasies of the CUPS configuration interface(s), I've got access
to both a Phaser 8600DP and a Phaser 7300DN from this Debian box.

The printer test pages are pretty.

My dilemma now is this: The network is DHCP with two-week IP address
leases. The printers have IP addresses, but don't seem to have
hostnames. This means that every two weeks I'll have to change the
configuration for the printers in CUPS. That's . . . annoying. Does
anyone have some enlightening information about how I could solve this
little issue? I'd really appreciate it.

--
Chad