Re: [SLUG] Re: OT: picked up a screw around rig today

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 06:22:35 EST

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 02:42, Chad Perrin wrote:
>
>>I'd only heard of those specific "bugs" to which I vaguely referred
>>being associated with Fedora. There are many others I'd heard of being
>>assocaited with other distributions.
>>The fact that I only heard that about Fedora Core 2, by the way, is
>>probably based on the facts that Fedora is extremely popular and that
>>particular problem was a major critical failure for a lot of people.
>

> The "bug" is with select BIOSes, not Linux 2.6 or GNU parted. The fact
> that Linus & co. and the GNU parted team decided to stop trying to have
> the Linux kernel "assume" LBA geometry and go on the actual
> _specification_ is what instigated the issue anew. The "bug" affects
> _any_ distro installer that uses the combination. No matter how many
> times people stated it was affecting _all_ distro installers using the
> kernel 2.6 / GNU parted combination, people kept calling it a "Fedora
> bug."
>
> Furthermore, if you had such a buggy BIOS and tried to dual-boot a DOS
> version of Windows, you'd have the same issues. That's because
> DOS-based Windows _must_ match the BIOS geometry, NT does not. Adding
> to the issues is the popularity of 33GB+ drives, compared to just a few
> years ago. Heck, even different version of NT dual-booting on the same
> system could conflict. It's really a larger issue with the legacy,
> "basic disk" that doesn't offer a means to store the assumed geometry of
> an OS.

One question:
What the heck does this have to do with the fact that I hear more about
bugs commonly attributed to other distros than about bugs commonly
attributed to Fedora?

One answer:
Nothing.

>>The two things combined to turn the whole deal into a pretty
>>well-traveled complaint. That doesn't mean that people aren't also
>>constantly complaining about "bugs" they associate with other distributions.
>

> The problem is this bug affects Fedora Core 2+, Mandrake Linux 10.0+ and
> SuSE Linux 9.1+ because it's not a "distro bug," but a combination of
> specific implementations of software. Furthermore, the root cause isn't
> the combination, but the rare systems with the buggy BIOSes. This
> combination was just the first to expose it.
>
> Linux 2.4 "guesses" what the geometry is. This is typically done by
> trying 255/63 heads/sectors, the typically LBA assumption by NT. Linux
> 2.6 / GNU Parted follows the spec -- too closely. And now all those
> buggy BIOSes are no longer accommodated.

One question (repeated):
What the heck does this have to do with the fact that I hear more about
bugs commonly attributed to other distros than about bugs commonly
attributed to Fedora?

One answer (repeated):
Nothing.

I think I'm done with this branching of the thread as well.

--
Chad