[SLUG] Re: random questions

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 07:46:00 EST

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 07:30, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Or I could use PostgreSQL in a variety of ways. I might just build 2,
> beefer systems that could replace the 4 web servers and handle the added
> PostgreSQL overhead, and use a 2-way replication. That would also be
> very straight-forward. ... cut ...
> and administer -- not even when you start talking 2-way replication.

My apologies, I haven't slept much in a few days.

When I said "PostgreSQL," I meant "ACID" DB in general. PostgreSQL
_does_ offer the capability to have 2-way replication (with
limitations/considerations), but it's not very comparable to what DB2,
Oracle and other ACID options have.

Of course MySQL offers 2-way replication as well. But then we're back
to considering what's the most optimal implementation. MySQL without
various transaction support, read-only local stores and other
capabilities are typically more than sufficient for typical web apps.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of