Re: [SLUG] Re: A question of databases

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 05:50:33 EST

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 13:28, Chuck Hast wrote:
> The present application writes the data to a flat file. The guy who does
> the app is going re-work the app so that it can write directly to a db
> using ODBC or probably JDBC, as he is looking at re-writing in Java
> so that we are not chained to the windows environment.

Ack! ODBC? Ouch! Overhead, Overhead Will Robinson! ;->

I don't know what your data-rate is, so maybe ODBC (or JDBC) is doable.
I'm not a fan of "middle-ware" when it comes to read-time DAQ. But I
don't know your data-rate in your DAQ.

> I will have a ODBC or JDBC connection to a db ... We want to have the
> app just dump it directly into the db and be done with it,

Right. Again, I'd need to know what data-rates we are talking.

> at the same time while driving down the road we will have one or more
> mapping machines to use to look at the data, there are preset levels
> that will either show a obnoxious color or a strange symbol when some
> level or other data is off.

Now that might change some things depending on how "real-time" you want
it. If a 10+ second delay is an option, then a DB is fine.

> Perhaps it would be good for me to send you a sample db and some
> map images so you can see what we are doing.

Maybe. But that's all off-line. I'm trying to figure out how much is
coming in real-time.

The issue with DAQ is ensuring that you get all of it. Acquisition is
the most important, first step. If the rate is low enough, then about
98% of what I said doesn't apply, and I'm just being anal. ;->

> Yes, that must be fun to watch, any mass destruction is fun to watch.
> Imploded buildings, vehicles, of course as long as there is no loss of
> life involved.

Doesn't compare to seeing Mach 3-5 hit Mach 5+. ;->

> Basicly the data will enter via odbc/jdbc and exit the same way. We
> pull the data into the mapping tools and create nice maps of the different
> data fields. Right now we are doing it with Access and Oracle, on Windows
> as soon as my cohort in crime re-does the app to where it uses the odbc
> drivers we will deposit it directly to a db.

Oh, so you don't have the data rates I was thinking of. Nevermind.

> I am just trying to pick the right one from the start for the mobile piece,
> once we get it back to the office it will probably be exported to something
> else depending on what the customer wants it in.

Once you get it in the DB, then it's read-only, correct?
MySQL or PostgreSQL will do fine.
Both have ODBC and JDBC connectors.

> c. Want to use Linux as I feel it is a much more stable environment than windows
> I have had windows do too many strange things while doing the capture.
> have even had viruses come down the pipe, and we had all of the virus stuff
> on the machines.

I look at ODBC as a _nightmare_ -- especially when Access (especially
with Jet) is involved.

Oracle is a fine solution. In fact, if you're already using Oracle as
your back-end, I'd stick with it. You've got some of the work already
done for you, and already have it in place.

Just don't involve Access. ;->

JDBC will do fine then.

> Yes, but I will be handing the db off to others who will then put it
> in whatever they want.

At that point, then we're no longer talking DAQ.

Again, I was probably just being "anal." You don't sound like you have
the data-rates I was thinking.

Although we might want to revisit it for the real-time monitoring if you
can't afford delays. But it doesn't sound like it.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of