Re: [SLUG] Re: The footprint of session, file and/or window manager

From: Mavrick (icebergwaltz@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 08:40:44 EST

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 00:42:48 -0500, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 23:57, Chad Perrin wrote:
> > That's interesting information, but I'm afraid it doesn't answer my
> > question. Were the memory requirements you cited based on the graphical
> > or text install?
> > Here's another question while I'm at it: What, if that's the text
> > install, are the actual requirements of the graphical install (since
> > that, too, might be overstated)?
>
> I _already_ answered this in an off-list post. I sent you the link to
> the Fedora Core 2 Release Notes. Here they are again:
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/RELEASE-NOTES-en.html
>
> And the ones for Fedora Core 1 and 3 as well:
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/RELEASE-NOTES.html
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/RELEASE-NOTES-en.html
>
> > . . . unless someone has the hardware requirements that you cited as
> > requiring the higher resources. Yes? You yourself said that depending
> > on hardware the installation might require as much as 96MB. Thus, as I
> > tried to convey, it concerns me that 96MB seems like a rather high
> > resource requirement for a Linux install, particulary if it is the
> > text-based install.
>
> I've had other distros barf on far more.
>
> Given the fact that Anaconda is Python/Newt, it's going to take more
> than _some_ other distro installers. But it also takes less than many.
>
> I think you're holding Red Hat up against a standard that you don't seem
> to want to hold others against? That's what bothers me.
>
> > When you say "Again, it's much, much lower," I get the impression that
> > what you actually mean (to be precise) is "in some (many?) cases, it CAN
> > BE much, much lower". That's quite different from "It is always much,
> > much lower."
>
> Correct. Which is why Red Hat _overestimates_.
>
> > So, again, 96MB seems like an awful lot of required RAM for a Linux
> > installation. The fact that some people might be required to have that
> > much RAM to successfuly install it concerns me somewhat.
>
> Then not only go read the requirements of other distros, but try to
> install them on them.
>
> > Am I misunderstanding something here?
>
> At this point, I think you're just being argumentative.
>
> 1. I sent you the Release Notes off-list.
> 2. I've given you them again above.
> 3. I've stated that Red Hat distros typically install in far less than
> stated.
> 4. I'll now state that I've _never_ seen a case where if I had the
> minimum for a Red Hat distro and it didn't work because of insufficient
> memory
> 5. I have _plenty_ of times seen distros state "minimums" that _failed_
> to boot.
> 6. I've explained, _in_depth_, why Red Hat states its requirements.
>
> Now you seem to want to go on at length why this "requirement is so
> high." If I haven't made myself _perfectly_ clear:

> [...]

I'm sorry for replying in this way under this thread, but you two
(Chad and Bryan) need to sit down, hash this out, and bury the NT
server (read: hatchet). Your incessant quibbling is DRIVING ME
CRAZY!!!!! I have come to the point of not reading posts that come
from either of you if they are more than a few lines long, and,
probably to my detriment, I am most likely missing some good
information. But I don't care because I cannont stand it! Please
stop.

Regards, Mav