Re: [SLUG] Amusement for Gentoo nonenthusiasts

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 10:53:16 EST

I don't think people are ripping on Gentoo.
The concept of a "ports" distro is very, very useful.
I, for one, was grateful for Daniel Robbins creation.
(SIDE NOTE: for those that own the book "Samba Unleashed," you note his name next to mine, and the man is far more gifted than me).

Who people have a "problem" with are the Gentoo users that fit that _exact_ analogy.
I'm going to use that _exact_ page whenever I run into such people.

There are Gentoo users (I'm one myself :-), and then there are "punks."

As far as your GNOME comments, there _are_ those of us who have GNOME-less Fedora systems.
More and more of the _stupid_ interdependecies are being weeded out in Fedora.
Fedora is the best thing that happened for Red Hat users.
I personally haven't run into "RPM dependency hell" for over 2.5 years.

If your still _manually_ downloading RPMs, then that's not a distro issue.
That's an _administrator_ issue!
RPM distro admins should _know_ the facilities for their distro's ditstributed package management front-end.

If you are still manually installing RPMs, then you're 2-3 years OUT OF DATE. :->

BTW, if someone prefers KDE, I still recommend Debian Sarge-based Xandros 2 OCE.

--
Bryan J. Smith (currently mobile)
b.j.smith@ieee.org

-----Original Message----- From: Christopher Hotchkiss Date: 04-12-7 10:16 To: slug@nks.net Subj: Re: [SLUG] Amusement for Gentoo nonenthusiasts

Ah, but you guys miss the point of using it. As a command line junkie who hates gnome, I can rip out all the stuff I don't need. Also emerge's installation capabilities for dependacies in CPAN modules is awesome. As always though to each his own, I won't rip on yours if you don't rip on mine. (RPM dependacy hell anyone?)

-- Christopher Hotchkiss (813)960-9273 http://www.post227.org ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.