Re: [SLUG] Amusement for Gentoo nonenthusiasts

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 13:54:45 EST

Christopher Hotchkiss wrote:
> Ah, but you guys miss the point of using it. As a command line junkie
> who hates gnome, I can rip out all the stuff I don't need. Also
> emerge's installation capabilities for dependacies in CPAN modules is
> awesome. As always though to each his own, I won't rip on yours if you
> don't rip on mine. (RPM dependacy hell anyone?)

. . . I just install a minimal system using Debian and manage the
packages I want with apt. I certainly don't use GNOME (or KDE). I
don't know how RPM-based distros fare in regards to automatic dependency
handling, but I've never really had a problem with Debian in that regard.

 From what I know of Gentoo, its strength seems to be in building a
gaming machine. I'm not a (computer) gamer. I'm sure Gentoo is great
for other uses as well, but Debian suits my uses and my needs admirably,
and I'm definitely one of those who doesn't like having extra crap
installed that isn't necessary.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while Gentoo might be good for a
command line junkie who hates GNOME, I certainly don't think it's the
only distribution that has that characteristic.

--
Chad