Re: [SLUG] Re: Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 is out ...

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 02:39:17 EST

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 01:36, Chad Perrin wrote:
> As such, it's no surprise at all that people judge a distribution by its
> installer, and I don't see that as the Bad Thing you seem to think it
> is.

I didn't say it was a "bad thing" per se.

What I said was a "bad thing" is someone who keeps trying different
distros, trying to find the "perfect installer" and only spends 6 months
installing different versions of Linux, trashing their hard drive a few
times and just keeps on sticking with Hostageware (especially if "Linux
trashed my NTFS partition").

What's the best distro for a user? I don't know.

But what I _do_ know a strategy** that works:
 - Find someone who does what you do (application-wise)
 - Have them help you install the same distro they use
 - Have them help you get running
 - And you now have the best tech support
   (someone who does what you do, and runs your distro)

Because people run apps, not OSes**. Get them using the applications on
Linux, not installing Linux, trying out different installers, etc...

[ **Attributes: Brian Ashe, LEAP ]

No wonder many people don't stick with Linux. Worse yet, why many
people keep using Hostageware, be it on Windows, or
emulated/virtualized/remoted under Linux. Because they think of Linux
as an OS, installer, etc...

Frankly, about 66% of the people who want to get into Linux typically
just want out of Hostageware right away. We throw Linux at them -- the
whole UNIX shift in mindset, the KDE/GNOME desktops and then the
superstore hardware issue on top of all that. I don't know how many
times I've "pulled people back to Linux" by just introducing them to
Freedomware on Windows.

TheOpenCD is one great idea: http://www.theopencd.org

[ NOTE: I actually used to produce CDs of Freedomware for Windows
before this project started up, including for LEAP at a CTS event. ]

> Really, the only other variables that directly affect the
> differences between distros are support and likely future plans for
> design of the installer and software management systems. That support,
> again, tends to tie into the software management system.
> There are other things associated with various distributions, of course,
> and they can factor into one's choice of distribution. For instance,
> the strength and prevalence of the community that exists around a given
> distro might make a difference. That's not, strictly speaking, a part
> of the distribution, though. Even if the Debian community dried up
> tomorrow (yeah right), the Debian distribution would still be the Debian
> distribution, with no (immediate) changes to it.
> So, to make a long ramble short: I don't see how judging a distribution
> by its installer is so bad. Obviously you do.
> The rest . . . is just flame bait.

Or one, big, continued "versus" marketing that just reminds me of why I
dislike the same 20, 50, 100+ vendors offering me the same technology
under a different name.

UNIX, by its very open nature, as always converged into 2 or 3 common
ideas and approaches. These technological approaches have always
converged over time. Brand names have nothing to do with it --
especially not in the era of GPL/LGPL Freedomware.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of