Re: [SLUG] A LINUX script problem

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Dec 12 2004 - 20:01:42 EST

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Ronald KA4INM Youvan wrote:

> >> I use script files in mc to range every file in a directory and they
> >>change the ownership and attributes for security reasons.
>
> > Why use mc? Why not "fild /home/user/{PIX,PDF,DOC} -type f"?
>
> Because I am using mc as a file manager and as part of the copying
> and moving I run this script.
>
> Slackware doesn't contain "fild".

Typo. It should be "find".

Anyhow, you can run stuff from within mc.

> > What do $1, $2, $3, and $4 contain?
>
> It's the parts of the filename such as:
> " Cliff Edwards - Hard-Hearted Hannah 1924.mp3 "

So $1="Cliff", $2="Edwards", $3="-", $4="Hard-Hearted"? Sounds like you
need to change how this script is being invoked by mc from

/usr/local/bin/myscript %1

/usr/local/bin/myscript "%1"

(adjust to taste)

then put quotes around space-containing variables in your script.

> > Test with "echo chmod $whatever", until you're sure it's right.
>
> In mc when the left panel is set to "Info" the left panel shows
> the ownership and attributes of the selected file on the right.
> The script command changes things properly, it's just that
> file names with spaces fail to be included in the "batch" process.

What I mean, is that when testing a new script, do this _first_ until you're
sure it's right, rather than screw up stuff again.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Ben Franklin