Re: [SLUG] xine

From: Mike Branda (realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 23:22:12 EST

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 19:48, Pete Theisen wrote:
> jeff wrote:
> > On Monday 20 December 2004 2:38, Pete Theisen wrote:
> >
> >> It has to be my fault, then. I neglected to point and click the
> >> right point and click. Wish I knew which point and click to point
> >> and click . . .
> >

> > Just wondering... By chance have you been adding/removing very many
> > packages? I trashed the GUI on my laptop once by not catching the
> > fact that there was a dependency issue with one of the packages that
> > I removed. Maybe you have inadvertently removed something that xine
> > needs?
>
> Hi Jeff!
>
> I don't think anyone has removed anything. Anything I added I put on the
> desktop where we can all watch it to make sure it doesn't misbehave.
> Heck, all I do with it is email, nothing else works.
>
> To think a book has been written about this distro and people buy the
> book. Oh, yeah, forgot. It is just me with my lousy hardware, it works
> fine for *everyone* else.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete

Pete, point made. Seriously. Rather than continuing to beat up Robin
about his book can we focus on finding something that does work with
your hardware?? ;^) Have you tried SuSE?? the 9.1 release of the
distro comes with the 2.6 kernel, subfs which causes the cdrom and
portable HD's to auto-mount/unmount like windows, all my sound, modem,
graphics card, printer, and windows partitions are recognized from the
get go... no fuss. It has a pseudo "plug and play" arrangement with
SuSE plugger that auto recognizes the presence of new hardware and YaST
(yet another setup tool) encompasses everything like the windows control
panel. Adding and removing packages with YaST loads the dependencies
for you and YaST also handles online system updates. If you're looking
for a simple windows like linux that has the perks of linux but feels
comfy like winders (as you put it) you should try it.

Mike Branda Jr.