Re: [SLUG] xine

From: Maurice Wilson (maury0324@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Dec 26 2004 - 17:52:09 EST

Pete Theisen wrote:
> Maurice Wilson wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> I just now downloaded and burned the latest Pro Mepis bo3 rebooted
>> with the cd and it found my network, went on line to shoutcast, played
>> music went out to a net radio site and got a a program using real
>> Player. I was getting some alerts about pnp bios as I booted simply
>> mepis ( although it runs good) but those problems don't show up with
>> this new pro ver. I'm going to put it on my test HD and play with it.
>> I'll probably be switching to Pro Mepis when the gold ver. is
>> released. Here is the kicker, I know very little command line however
>> I was comfortable with DOS, if I can do it what is the problem?
>

> Hi Maurice!
>
> I guess it just depends on your hardware and it doesn't like what I have.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete

Pete
You are right about that. The newer flavors of Linux install on the new
hardware very well but not so easy on older boxes,the same goes for
winXP. I have found that Mepis installes easier than WinXP, actually
winxp installs well enough but then you are left to install Ad-Aware,
SpybotSD and an Antivirus and Firefox before you dare put it on the net.
I work on a lot of personal computers that are mostly Zombies so I'm not
putting you on.I am finding linux much more stable and secure and easier
to maintain.In the past I have not been able to do some of the things
you can do with windows (mostly my lack of knowledge) but seriously that
is begining to be less an issue with Simply Mepis and Pro Mepis beta 3
which is awesome. Maurice