Re: [SLUG] Asterisk

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 10:26:32 EST

On Friday 31 December 2004 09:14 am, Steve Siesel wrote:
> Are there any Asterisk admins in the neighborhood
> that can help tutor me in setting up Asterisk in
> my home?
>

> Steve
> Happy New Year...

I'd suggest you checkout http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk
To understand it requires some work. This is a full fledged solution and needs
some dedicated time to learn.

I have an install script on (use wget) szmidt.org/asterisk/asterisk-update.sh

You will be best off having a Digium card to get the all important timing
signal. (Don't get the USB card.)

Your box needs to be able to happily generate 1000 interrupts/sec. The
motherboard can be anything from a 600MHz box and up. But clockspeed is no
gurarantee that it will do a good job as the way the board handles interrupts
varies. F.ex. some dual Zeon bords are crappy with * even though it takes
good use of dual processors. You just have to try it. Amount of RAM is not
important.

Your main files you work with are /etc/zaptel.conf & zapata.conf to get the
cards configured and then extensions.con sip.conf iax.conf.

Once installed you should issue make samples and you will have a sample setup
to start you off.

You should signup to:
"Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion"
<asterisk-users@lists.digium.com>

Remember to read the wiki first.

You can contact me offlist if you want.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.