[SLUG] Re: slug] Twist on compiling an src.rpm

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 22:33:41 EST

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Bob Stia wrote:

> Running SuSE 9.2 on an x86_64 platform Want to install win32codecs for
> xine. Went to packman. Two choices, a 386.rpm and a src.rpm. Downloaded
> the .src.
>
> Question is: If I compile the .src will I end up with a _64rpm ?? Do I
> need to do anything special in the SPECS file like add patches or
> something?

Depends on the goodness of the underlying code upstream, the
SRPM generally, and the maturity of x86_64 build suport on
SuSE 9.2 --

The issue as to upstream code is if it hardcodes constructs as
'/usr/lib/' rather than letting ./configure, and the
autotools, and the compiler and linker substitute in a more
likely /usr/lib64/ type path. As to packaging, the issue is
similar, as a novice packager may likewise use hardcoded
library paths rather than the %_lib construct. As to SuSE
support maturity, I do not follow this distribution as its
development process is essentially closed for large portions.

> An aside: What the heck is a "delta" rpm?? (new terminology for me)

A SuSE extension of 'diffs' against RPM's which is fragile,
and a security nightmare, but permits some bandwidth savings.
;)

My $0.02

-- Russ Herrold