[SLUG] Re: A real HARD(ware) question: It's ALIVE!

From: Branko (kozmo3k@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 20:24:08 EST

It's ALIVE!
Well, I got another CPU (2.66GHz) and RAM (from the wifes' 'puter),
plugged in it the (Foxconn) and /IT's ALIVE/! Finally it posted. I took
the original "bad" CPU (2.6GHz) and placed it the other (wifes') 'puter
and, of course, no POST.
Point in case: BAD CPU= No POST.
But, out of curiosity, it took the "bad" CPU (2.6) and stuck it in the
original Mobo (Trigem Imperial GV), and guess what: POST! Even without
RAM, but will not recognize any Keyb, whether PS/2 or USB. As someone
mentioned, some Mobos are more selective about CPU's than others..
But of course, there is a catch. After POST-ing and looking over BIOS, I
rebooted with the HD connected. It is recognized, starting to boot into
OS (WinXP Home), but after loading _mup.sys,_ it stops for about 2
seconds and then it reboots. I guess it's "Google Time".
I'm going to connect the CD drive and try Knoppix, to see if that boots
OK and post later.
Thanks
Branko