Re: [SLUG] From the Annals of Tampa SLUG, Stardate 20050111

From: Eric A. Hicks (lugmail@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 21:10:59 EST

Dylan Hardison wrote:

>On the topic of discussion, there was much talk of VoIP from one Pat Burke,
>and Kae / Kay / Kate Without T. They use it because they are Cheap.
>
>There was also talk of having an Asterisk Party.
>Preview: ****************************************
>
>Also, Pat Burke would very much like people to phone him.
>So, email talkcheap@gmail.com and ask for one of his many phone numbers,
>and have at it. I hear he really likes recieving calls in Swahili and
>Yiddish at 3:00AM.

Interesting timing... did anyone catch the slashdot article today?
http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/01/12/1829240.shtml?tid=215&tid=218

I enjoyed hanging with fellow linux users last night. I was the quiet
guy against the wall with the thinkpad running Fedora Core 3 in a VMWare
workstation. Unfortunately, my work makes me run WinXP... but
thankfully VMWare lets me get real work done!

I look forward to future meetings.... any chance of getting some topics
on the docket? There seemed to be several new users there, perhaps
they'd enjoy a demo or two?? I can try to get a projector from work
and with VMWare, I can set up a whole virtual network with a server and
client.... just an idea.

I can volunteer setting up a quick and dirty webserver, MySQL server,
and install Java, but that's about where my skills end. I would
personally like to know how to set up Virtual Named Hosts (so that I can
run multiple websites on the same box), how to secure a linux box (and a
web server), maybe an education on what all the services are that come
in most default installs and knowing which ones to turn off.

thanks,
ERic