[SLUG] Off-Topic: New Mac Mini

From: Steven Buehler (steven@sanctuaryweb.org)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 08:05:43 EST

Realizing this is slightly off-topic, but has something to do with the UNIX
world...was watching Steve Jobs' keynote at MacWorld 'Frisco the other
night.

For those who are interested in dabbling with Mac OS X and don't want to
shell out the big bucks for an iMac or PowerMac, Apple is shipping the new
Mac Mini on Jan 22nd. It is a 6.5" square by 2" tall box with 1.2 or 1.4
GHz G4 (depending in which of the two models you get) with BYODKM (bring
your own display, keyboard, and mouse). Standard features are 256MB RAM,
ATI Radeon 9200 video, 40 or 80 GB Ultra ATA HD (again, depending on model),
built-in Ethernet and 56k modem, one Firewire 400 and two USB 2.0 ports,
slot-load combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive, audio out port, optional AirPort or
Bluetooth wireless module built-in, and MacOS X 10.3 "Panther". You can
hook up any industry standard DVI or analog VGA monitor and USB keyboard and
mouse (they claim it will even support a "Microsoft" two-button mouse).
Also comes with iLife '05 software suite.

Cost: $499 for the 1.25GHz/40GB model, $599 for the 1.42GHz/80GB model;
AirPort and/or Bluetooth internal are extra. With a video converter adapter
this would be useful for my presentation stuff (I can't get atitvout working
properly on my ThinkPad).

Details: http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

For those who don't know, "Panther" has a native X-Windows layer for running
X-Windows apps and I am aware of an open-source framework available to
compile and run UNIX apps. Also, Mac OS X "Tiger" is on schedule to ship
the first half of this year.

Steven W. Buehler | steven@sanctuaryweb.org/swbuehler@yahoo.com
Home Page: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org | Music Page:
http://renaitre.iuma.com
AOL I/M: StevenBuehlerFL | Yahoo! Messenger: swbuehler | MSN/Windows
Messenger: stevenwbuehler@msn.com