Re: [SLUG] Hub, Switch, & Router

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 10:23:13 EST

Hi Ken
Thanks for the explanation.
 The relevant portion of my quest really comes down to this.

> Now, if you are thinking that this bridge is somewhat like a router, and
> somewhat like a switch, you've caught on rather well. Today, the lines
> between switches, bridges and routers have become blurred. It's more a
> matter of small details of what the device is intended for. Just like a
> nut vs. lug nut. They are both nuts, but a lug nut is used for holding on
> wheels of a car. A nut is general purpose.

As far as I can figure out the only difference between a router, bridge,
switch, and hub TODAY is how the internals are programed ie a software issue
with an 'Wireless Access-Point' being almost equivalent to 'Wireless Router'
with the exception that a router has 6 ports while a access-point has 2
ports. With that idea in mind then if one considers the cost of production of
the various devices there should be only a 5 to 10% difference in cost which
brings me full circle in my thought process of "Why does a 'Wireless Router'
cost app $70.00 while a 'Wireless Bridge' cost app. $150.00 if thy are
essentially the same device?" and "Why does the spectrum of devices exist
when the essential difference between them is simply software which if
written correctly would allow user choice of what was needed for the
particular application while lowering inventory and manufacturing cost?"
Also, it looks to me like it should be relatively simple to convert one
device to any other usage. Reading the instruction manuals I have not found
this to be the case.

Thanks again for the explanation.

Frank