Re: [SLUG] KVM for use with analog flat panel?

From: Mavrick (icebergwaltz@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 11:38:24 EST

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:02:41 -0500, Branko <kozmo3k@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Nils Winberg wrote:
>
> > Anyone using a KVM w/ an analog flat panel? Recommendations?
> >
> > My trusty Belkin Omniview SE (c1999) is not playing nicely with my
> > Samsung 712n FP. It works fine with a CRT (955df), but due to
> > moire/focus the Omniview is almost unusable with the FP. Same
> > resolutions, similar refresh (crt=1280x1024@75hz, FP=1280x1024@60 or
> > 70). The FP has a relatively quick 'refresh' (16ms?). . .
> >
> > TIA,
> > Nils

> By "analog flat panel" you are referring to a LCD Monitor?
> I have Belkin KVM (F1DK102P) that I use with NEC LCD1760v monitor and it
> works great. In the year and a half that I've had it, had no issues with it.

We use Belkin Omniview E series (4-port) KVM's and simple Belkin
2-port KVM's here at work with both CRT's and LCD's (myriad CRT's, but
mainly Sceptre IV and V LCD's) with little problem. The problems we
have run into seem to be with the OS and not the monitors. We have
found that on machines running Linux (SuSE 9.0/9.1) and using a KVM
tend to freak out on occasion (the pointer runs all over the screen
and there is very little control with the mouse; keyboard works, but
if there are multiple windows open the pointer has to hover over a
certain window to give it focus for the keyboard commands to be of any
use).

A shutdown/restart will fix the problem, but not for good. It will
eventually happen again. It may be a combination of OS/KVM/monitor,
and you may need to play with that to get one that works. I do not
think that it is strictly a monitor issue only.

We have had similar problems on a G5, but as far as I can remember I
do not recall any problems with any Windows boxes that we have (KVM
problems, that is :-) ).

Just my 1 1/2 cents. Hope you can isolate the problem.

Eric