Re: [SLUG] Hub, Switch, & Router

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 12:00:22 EST

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 01:23, SOTL wrote:

> As far as a bridge I have NO idea of what that device does. Best I can figure
> out is that there is little difference between a switch and a bridge.
>
> Am I finally getting the idea?
>
> Thanks
> Frank

Frank,

Also found this on bridges:

Bridge
        Interconnects LAN segments at the Network Interface layer level
        and forwards frames between them. A bridge performs the function
        of a MAC relay, and is independent of any higher layer protocol
        (including the Logical Link protocol). It provides MAC layer
        protocol conversion, if required. Examples of bridges are:
              * A PS/2 running the IBM Token-Ring Network Bridge program
              * The IBM 8229 LAN bridge

        A bridge can be said to be transparent to IP. That is, when a
        host sends an IP datagram to another host on a network connected
        by a bridge, it sends the datagram directly to the host and the
        datagram ``crosses'' the bridge without the sending host being
        aware of it.

So a bridge is more of a transparent relay.

Mike