Re: [SLUG] Good Linux Sound Card

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 15:14:10 EST

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Christopher Hotchkiss wrote:

> Hey guys just a quick question I wanted to get everyone's opinion on.
> What is the best "under $100" sound card for linux? I currently am
> using onboard sound but it just really isn't that good. My only
> requirement is that the driver must be open source, no binary drivers.
> Any clues anyone?

I'm using a SoundBlaster Live!. I carried it over from my previous
motherboard (Asus A7V-266, had no onboard anything) to this one (Asus
A7V-333, has onboard sound) because it'll play multiple sounds
simultaneously, and the built-in one won't without a driver "faking it". I
use a bog-standard ALSA setup. The card also has jacks for line-in and
mic-in which _don't_ get repurposed as output jacks should I get more than
two speakers.

Don't remember how much it cost, but >$100 would've put me off, so it
probably wasn't that much.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.