Re: [SLUG] Xorg root only login

From: R. Samuel Jose, Jr. (rob@buzr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 17:15:23 EST

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 16:07 -0500, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> I upgraded a system from RedHat 9.0 to Fedora Core 2. Although I could log
> into the X console with XFree86 as any user, I cannot do this now after the
> upgrade to Xorg. In fact, only root is allowed to do so.
>
> What happened, and how do I go about fixing this?
>
> /mario

I've seen similar behavior on one of my Gentoo boxes after I update
Xorg. For some reason it sets the ownership of non-root user home
directories to root so Gnome can't read my config files when I log in as
a non-root user and I get shuffled back to the login screen. When I set
the permissions back to what they should be, I can login again.

Not sure why it only happens on one box.