Re: [SLUG] hardware question - wah-wah/volume pedal to plug into serial port?

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 12:43:25 EST

That was an excellent idea with the game port. I could just pick up a
cheap joystick and experiment with that as is, really. No
construction and no hardware/electronics learning necessary. But yes,
long-term goal is to hook it up to a laptop, and I'd love to be able
to use a pedal. In a perfect world this would be USB, but I can also
hook up to a parallel port.

I first thought I'd get started with the serial port because I thought
it might be easier to get an understanding of the concepts. I'd also
like to draw power from the port if possible, and I find this
documented more for serial. I had no idea that the parallel shift
register and timer would be required for serial and not parallel.
Really, trying the serial port path first is sounding like a worse and
worse idea after getting more information.

If you think that USB is doable I would want to try to tackle that.
Otherwise I will try and see how far I can get with the parallel port.
 It's cool to find out how this stuff works. A potentiometer will
definitely be involved, and that a wah-wah pedal is basically a
combination of potentiometer and low-pass capacitor makes perfect
sense.

Thanks for all the great information,
~ Daniel