[SLUG] FontTastic server problem (Was glibc Question)

From: William T. Wright (t.wright1@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 20:23:59 EST

On Monday 20 December 2004 23:05, you wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 18:28, William T. Wright wrote:
> > I just upgraded to SuSE 9.0 from my 1999-vintage Caldera eDesktop, and
> > most of the transition has been very smooth. The exception is running
> > Quattro Pro. Seems that Corel set everything up to run with glibc 2.0 or
> > 2.1, and SuSE 9.0 is using 2.3. I installed the font server from the RPMs
> > and my package manager says all is well with them. I suspect that the
> > Fonttastic font server doesn't work with the newest flavor glibc. The
> > error message says that it is unable to add Fonttastic font server to the
> > font path. The font server is not installed.
> >
> > I still have the glibc 2.1 RPMs that came with the Caldera distro. Could
> > I go ahead and install the older glibc 2.1 to run in parallel? I remember
> > something about doing this with qt so I could run both KDE 1 and 2.2 on
> > the same box.
> >
> > Yes, Corel's WINE implementation sometimes runs slow, but I've been using
> > Quattro Pro since the 80s, and all my financial records are in it.
>
> William,
>
> This is just one possibility so here goes. SuSE has a semi-bad habit of
> putting stuff in a strange place. KDE and Mozilla go in /opt and docs
> go in /usr/share/doc and many others including some libs. I'd do an rpm
> -ql on the packages and find out if they modified the paths to where
> things go. I didn't see the fonttastic server in the SuSE disc set so I
> assume it came from corel. being pre-made, It may be looking for RedHat
> paths. You may need to create some symbolic links. It may not be an
> incompatibility issue....just a misguided path. :^) just a guess....
>

> Mike Branda Jr.

I think you're on to something. In KPackage, the package file list shows:
/etc/init.d/fonttastic (missing file)
/etc/rc.d/init.d/fonttastic (where /etc/rc.d is a symbolic link to the missing
file).
Clicking on the missing file in KPackage brings an error message, "Couldn't
find the program 'fonttastic'". A file search of / turned up two "fonttastic"
files. One is a sizeable script in /etc/init.d/init.d to see if the host is
running Red Hat or SuSE, then start the font server at bootup. The second is
another script in /usr/sbin that simply issues the command to start the font
server.

When I tried to start the font server from a console, it dies thusly:

 linux:/usr/X11R6/bin # fontfs
 Notice: Using config file: /etc/fonttastic/config
 Binding TCP socket: Address already in use
 Fatal: Cannot establish any listening sockets
 Notice: Font server terminated: Tue Dec 21 19:37:52 2004
 Font server terminated: See /var/log/fonttastic/fs-errors

Looks like a conflict problem. The log file isn't updated, so I don't have
much else to go on. The config file shows "port = 7102" at the end line. Is
this the TCP socket in question? If that's the case, what's a good socket to
substitute?