[SLUG] Re: rsync suggestions

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 04:46:39 EST

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 18:32, James Marcinek wrote:
> - While I could create ssh keys for each user (and then initiate using the -i
> option), this would require administrative overhead with the add/delete of
> user's, so while this is possible it isn't as practical as we would like.

If you have an ADS or, better yet, ADS-2003 domain, don't forget you
_can_ create a Kerberos realm (one-way transitive trust) and leverage
Kerberos ticketing for your SSH authentication.

Most distros today ship a Kerberosized SSH client.

-- Bryan

P.S. I don't advocate ADS-based Kerberos. The concept of running RPC
services on the same system as KDC(s) (which ADS DCs do) is a
mega-security no-no in my book. But if you've already got ADS in place,
and you don't have a Kerberos realm setup, you might as well leverage
it.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of