[SLUG] Please explain/advise

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 01:03:44 EST

Hello Sluggers,

Please explain how suid works. When set, is the program actually invoked
by the user or is it really still root.

As per a suggestion here awhile ago, I want to run ntpdate automatically
when my dial up connection is established. Now,,,, ntpdate is root
owned and cannot be called by me in the ip-up script. If i can
understand how to set suid on ntpdate that would make it work and
adjust my time, right? But, would ntpdate run all the time I was
connected ?? (stay connected to the server) And under those conditions,
if it was really being run by root wouldn't that be dangerous?

I know. I am confused and ignorant. I am a long time learning and still
not very knowledgeable, especially about permissions.

Bob S.

PS have read every man page I could think of.