Re: [SLUG] Please explain/advise

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 10:57:02 EST

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Ronan Heffernan wrote:

> Bob Stia wrote:
> >
> > As per a suggestion here awhile ago, I want to run ntpdate automatically
> > when my dial up connection is established. Now,,,, ntpdate is root
> > owned and cannot be called by me in the ip-up script.

> One thing that you can do: change the execute permissions of the
> ntpdate program so that only members of a small group can execute it
> at all. Example:
>
> chgrp wheel ntpdate
> chmod 4750 ntpdate
>
> then add yourself and a few trusted users to the wheel group (edit
> /etc/group).

Or use this program:

groupmod (8) - Modify a group

Safer, less prone to mistakes.

> No one else will be able to execute ntpdate.

That's one way, sudo is another. Or if you want ntpdate to be executable
only by *you*, you can make its group your personal group, and add the
group-execute permission to it.

ARIES:  The look on your face will be priceless when you find that 40lb
watermelon in your colon.  Trade toothbrushes with an albino dwarf, then
give a hickey to Meryl Streep.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_