Now: SpamAssassin and Evolution Was: [SLUG] Spam Lotto

From: Logan Tygart (thelogan@allyourbase-arebelongto.us)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 21:31:42 EST

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 12:34 -0500, Eben King wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Richard Smoot wrote:
>
> > Did everybody on the list win 1,500,000 Euros?
<snip>
> I really need to set up a Bayesian filter... any recommendations?

I have been running spamassassin with Evolution 2.0, for about two
months now. It works flawlessly and allows you to dump procmail. I use
fetchmail, to retrieve my mail from a multitude of servers, and allow
Evolution to parse my mail.

For Debian folks, to engage SpamAssassin with Evolution 2.0, apt-get
install both (for anything but Debian Woody), then edit your
spamassassin file. (For .rpm users, install Evolution 2.0 and
SpamAssassin, then find the files I am talking about, in what ever
manner you follow the insanity of .rpm distros.) Debian users
edit /etc/defaults/spamassassin, and ensure these lines are in the file:

ENABLED=1
OPTIONS="-L --create-prefs --max-children 1 --helper-home-dir"
PIDFILE="/var/run/spamd.pid"

The -L is for local use and set the max children number to how many
people actually sit and read mail at the box. The default is 5; if you
are the only one with an account at the computer, set it to 1.

For Debian folks, restart SpamAssassin (spamd) with:

/etc/init.d/spamassassin restart

In my inbox, I had a few 419 and lottery spam messages. I clicked on
each of the messages and then click on the junk icon.

It is as simple as that. Evolution moves the messages to the junk
folder and SpamAssassin learns from the junk mail folder.

Now, when Evolution parses my mail, it runs each message through
spamassassin. Using the aforementioned method, I have had zero false
positives.

Enjoy,

The Logan

--
19:55:01 up 33 days, 11:27, 4 users, load average: 0.23, 0.39, 0.36
HTML is a no-no with MajorDomo. -- Thomas A. Ufer, SLUG List