[SLUG] MySQL

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 08:50:29 EST

Hi All

As some of you are aware I started last week trying to make a data base using
MySQL.

I that light I have a nice book, some book examples, and questions that are
not answered in the book.

This computer is set up with all data located on a separate partition
called /home/trunk/Common_Data which allows both the Linux and MS OS to see
the data.. Yea I know strange location not using /mnt/Common_Data/{file name
or directory} but I like it that way. Anyway I would like to place my data
bases in the same location.

Currently when I create a db it is located in /var/lib/mysql/{file name} so I
preceded to copy one of the db I had made called "testdb" to my desired
location. Then I tried to access "testdb" or as the db people say connect to
"testdb".

Anyway I tried the following

use /home/trunk/Common_Data/testdb

plus a few variations of this eachtime receiving the response that the db
which MC says exist does not exist.

Would some kind person please explain how one creates, connects, and uses a db
in any other directory except /var/lib/mysql/*.

Thanks

Frank