PageMaker (Re: [SLUG] <OT> RIP Microsoft?)

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 09:52:46 EST

On Feb 16, 2005, at 1:17 AM, Paul M Foster wrote:
> PageMaker, as I recall. It started Apple on the road to dominance in
> the
> graphics arena, where they still dominate. The Apple-dominated
> education
> market came later, and has fallen off considerably. (It's interesting
> note that any time you see a computer in the movies or on TV, it's
> either a Dell or Apple.) For the PC, the "killer app" was a spreadsheet
> program whose name I don't recall (not 123, though, I don't think;
> Multicalc?).

PageMaker was made by a small company called Aldus, not Apple, but at
the time it was only available for the Macintosh platform (because
Microsoft had yet to develop their own GUI). Eventually Adobe bought
Aldus' product line. I remember using Aldus PageMaker in high school.

AppleWorks, which began life on the Apple II series, was copied to the
Mac platform as ClarisWorks by a company called Claris (which I believe
was actually spun off from Apple). Eventually (I believe after Jobs
retook the reins), Claris was absorbed back into Apple and it's now
called AppleWorks again (in fact, I have the latest version standard on
the Mac). Only issue was that AppleWorks wasn't designed to take
advantage of OS X Panther's features, and Apple's solution is their
just-released Pages app (part of their iWork '05 suite with Keynote 2).

Steven Buehler | swbuehler@yahoo.com/steven@sanctuaryweb.org
Personal Home Page: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org
Instant Messengers: swbuehler (Yahoo/Skype/Mac iChat AV),
StevenBuehlerFL (AIM), stevenwbuehler@msn.com (MSN Msgr.)
Composed on an Apple iBook G4
Qualify for a FREE APPLE IPOD: http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=9458651