[SLUG] 2 part dvd/iso question

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 01:37:13 EST

Hello Sluggers,

Yes, I know!! You have all been waiting for me to ask my next question!
(Keeps your mind fertile and active while it educates the old guy in
NPR.)

Anyway, Recently burned an .iso of a borrowed movie DVD for my
grandchildren. (Black Beauty) using k3b which appeared to be
successful. Tried burning a new DVD and made a great coaster.
Encryption stuff. I have installed libdvdread and libdvdcss and have
researched quite a bit on regions and the various encryption schemes.

Evidently k3b does not pick up and use these tools when burning the
image. Are these tools strictly CLI?, and if so, how does one invoke
them to create the new DVD, Or are they used when it creates the .iso?
Kind of makes k3b useless if that is correct.

I can mount the .iso with -o loop and see all of the files. How can I
get kaffeine, mplayer, xine, whatever, to play it from the hard drive?
I can kind of get kaffeine to play some parts of the movie by loading
individual files. Would much prefer handing them the DVD and sending
them off to the TV set.

Here's your chance to make some old guy look like the smartest guy in
the world to his grandchildren.

Bob S.