[SLUG] SSH and Monitor failure

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 17:37:27 EST

Hi All

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for screaming but I do feel a bit better now.

I have a small network with 3 computers which mostly does not work:

MSI with name of Reality_Check @ 192.168.2.7 with Mandrake 10.1
HP with name Meatloaf_Night @ 192.168.2.9 with Mandrake 9.2
IBM with name Big_Nate @ 192.168.2.2 with Mandrake 10.1

I do not have the ability to install 10.1 on the HP with out replacing the CD
reader with a DVD reader.

>From any one box I can ping either [or both at the same time] of the other two
boxes. For example from the IBM box I can ping MSI by using 192.168.2.7
and/or HP by using 192.168.2.9.

I can not ping either of the other boxes by using names. For example I can not
ping MSI or HP by using the names Reality_Check or Meatloaf_Night nor can I
ping the IBM box from either MSI or HP using Big_Nate.

So, numbers work; names do not work. I believe this issue will be solved when
I configure /etc/hosts or my firewall router so for this posting that issue
is not relevant.

I was able to access the MSI box from both the HP box and the IBM box by using
the following:
fish://username@ip_address/path/to/directory
or fish://trunk@192.168.2.7

After performing the above plus actions I departed and returned.

Firing up all 3 computers the 2 which I was not able to access by fish came up
normal and functioned normal.

The MSi box which I was able to access by fish came up with video up to 3/4
way through KDE boot at which time it lost video and maybe key and mouse too
as they did not appear to be functioning either.

I shut the box down by turning power off [bad practice] since I appear to have
no control of box.

I repeated the above several times with identical results.

I attempted to access box by fish and was able to do so.

I placed Mandrake 10.1 disk in DVD drive and did an upgrade.

Booting box after upgrade I still got blank screen and most possible no mouse
and no keyboard.

My personal belief at this point is that the box is confused by my not logging
out of SSH - I saw no way to do such so I just closed Konqueror on the box I
was SSHing from.

Question:

How does one go about establishing why, how issue develops and how does one
repair?

Thanks
Frank