Re: [SLUG] SSH and Monitor failure

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 08:38:24 EST

On Sunday 27 February 2005 18:58, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 05:37:27PM -0500, SOTL wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > Sorry for screaming but I do feel a bit better now.
> >
> > I have a small network with 3 computers which mostly does not work:
> >
> > MSI with name of Reality_Check @ 192.168.2.7 with Mandrake 10.1
> > HP with name Meatloaf_Night @ 192.168.2.9 with Mandrake 9.2
> > IBM with name Big_Nate @ 192.168.2.2 with Mandrake 10.1
> >
> > I do not have the ability to install 10.1 on the HP with out replacing
> > the CD reader with a DVD reader.
> >
> > >From any one box I can ping either [or both at the same time] of the
> >
> > other two
> > boxes. For example from the IBM box I can ping MSI by using 192.168.2.7
> > and/or HP by using 192.168.2.9.
> >
> > I can not ping either of the other boxes by using names. For example I
> > can not
> > ping MSI or HP by using the names Reality_Check or Meatloaf_Night nor can
> > I ping the IBM box from either MSI or HP using Big_Nate.
> >
> > So, numbers work; names do not work. I believe this issue will be solved
> > when I configure /etc/hosts or my firewall router so for this posting
> > that issue is not relevant.
>
> Um, no. If you're going the /etc/hosts route, the /etc/hosts file on
> _each_ machine must contain the names and IP numbers of all the other
> boxes on the LAN. Unless, of course, you're running DNS on your
> firewall.
>
> > I was able to access the MSI box from both the HP box and the IBM box
> > by using
> > the following:
> > fish://username@ip_address/path/to/directory
> > or fish://trunk@192.168.2.7
>
> Hmm. I never heard of "fish" before. But firing it up on my box, I see
> it's a way of ssh-ing into a box from a browser. Interesting. You learn
> something new every day.
>
> Don't think so. After you reboot, all such confusions should go away.
> The machine shouldn't even know you were in a ssh session before, so
> long as the other machines are not trying to continually create a SSH
> connection with it.
>
> There all kinds of guesses possible about what's going on. Marginal
> hardware finally ceased to be marginal and hosed itself. Bit(s) got
> flipped or media became corrupted in some of your startup software
> (kernel, init scripts, libraries, etc.). Some configuration got changed,
> perhaps inadvertantly, by you.

Thanks Paul you fixed that issue by simply agitating me to provide you with
additional information.

If you recall the MSI box has drawers in it where I can change the operating
system by changing the HD. The advantages of the drawers is two fold: one I
can test an operation system as it would normall be with out destroying
previously configured systems and second it sure beets the hell out of
opening the box and pulling cables off the back. Being in a hurry I did
manage to trash one HD by pulling cables so the drawers - much cheaper.

Anyway, I yanked the mandrake 10.1 drawer and slid the old Red Hat 7.3 in and
everything worked fine. So I returned to writing my response to your
questions in the Thinkpad. That is when I discovered I still did not have all
the answers I needed so I replaced the Mandrake 10.1 system and rebooted.

Well as you should suspect at this point everything work correct up to my
attempting to go on line with the browser with NO internet connection. An
issue I can understand since I am trying to put a network together for the
first time.

Bottom line, issue with screen was that HD was not fully connected. Musthave
kicked the damn thing with my foot. It is setting on the floor where one
should place their feet.

Thanks Paul for fixing this strange problem.
If you had not have pissed me off I would never have fixed that one.

Now back to my attempts to network - tonight.
Why did I suddenly loose web connection? Hopefully this is that damn bad cable
again mothing more.

Frank