Re: [SLUG] I hate Gmail

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 11:52:26 EST

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Craig Zeigler wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Dylan Hardison wrote:
> >
> >>I just spent about an hour writing the minutes of the St. Pete
> >>meeting, only to accidently middle-click and have it all lost.
> >>
> >>I think I'll go back to using Mutt now.
> >
> >One of my big fears with typing long text passages into some web-based
> >thingy is that the page will time out while I'm composing, and I won't know
> >until after I submit and my text is gone. For this reason, I always
> >copy&paste my text elsewhere periodically. Not as good as a save to disk,
> >but better than nothing.
> >
> How can you possibly blame any e-mail service for a user error?

You can't blame it for timing out, but you can blame for not saying "you
will lose your work if you try to submit it after some unspecified time" and
having a gizmo that shows how much time remains, or at least some way of
indicating that the time has expired. Since the people who design web forms
use this kind of user-hostile mechanism way too often, I do backups on my
own.

LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al