Re: [SLUG] HDTV-PVR Cookbook using Linux

From: Branko (kozmo3k@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 13:23:31 EST

Tom E. Craddock, Jr. wrote:

> Pete S. wrote:
>
>> http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/cookbook/
>> http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2005_02.php#003356
>

> Hey
>
> I currently an running a mythtv setup, and I have both the pchdtv3k
> and air2pc HD capture cards in my system. The EFF is encouraging
> people to have MythTV Build days, and Ive been meaning to ask the
> list, would this be something that anyone would be interested in?
> Would this be a decent presentation for at least a SLUG meetting, if
> not an actual MythTV Build day? If anyone is wanting to build an HD
> PVR/DVR before the new FCC Broadcast Flag goes into effect, let me
> know, Ill be glad to help out. Good bt of news is that one of the
> suppliers for the air2pc HD capture card is local, in NPR, so it
> shouldnt be too hard to get ahold of some once they are in stock again.
>

> Tom

Interesting article. Building a MythTV is a project I have had on a
back-burner for some time, but now it's moving top the top of my list.
The Build-Day would be definitely interesting. Has anyone else built
one? What are the hardware recommendations? I was looking at VIA's EPIA
Mini-ITX mobo (
http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_sp_spec.jsp?motherboardId=261 ) as
the base. The video cards I have not researched too far.
Now, Tom, what is the name of the company from NPR you mentioned? Do you
have their location? I live in PR and I'm interested in getting one.
The second question to Sluggers is ( I don't want to start any
flame-war): has anyone experience with Fedora-Myth or Knoppix-Myth? I
guess it's just a matter of preference of the Distro.
Maybe Rob and I can start planning the Build-Day for our future NPR
meeting (first Saturday of each month, main library)?

./Branko