Re: [SLUG] Nice pix

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 14:20:46 EST

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:44:51 -0500, Steven Buehler <swbuehler@yahoo.com> wrote:
> You can also use TerraServer.
>
> SWB
>
> On Mar 4, 2005, at 12:49 PM, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > For any of you who like maps or aerial photos here is a nice address to
> > download aerial photos of Hillsborough county.
> >
> > Not that it has anything to do with Linux but if you work with this
> > sort of
> > thing and need these they are there for the taking, download the images
> > and using Gimp or whatever you like take a look at this you can zoom in
> > until they start showing the pixelization, but when you zoom in you can
> > get down to a pretty good res.
> >
> > http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/realestate/aerials/gridmap.cfm
> > --
> > Chuck Hast
> > To paraphrase my flight instructor;
> > "the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my
> > going
> > out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of torn
> > and twisted metal."
> > This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
> > Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
> > posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
> > official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.
> >

> Steven W. Buehler | steven@sanctuaryweb.org/swbuehler@yahoo.com
> Web Page: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org | http://renaitre.iuma.com
> Instant Messengers: stevenbuehlerfl (AIM) | swbuehler (Yahoo!/.Mac
> iChat/Skype) | stevenwbuehler@msn.com (MSN Msgr.)

Agree that you can use them but the files are not there to download,
or you have to pay for them. In this case you are getting a pix that can
resolve objects that are 1 meter in size. And they are yours to use.

I have used Terraserver many times and looked at Keyhole, but I needed
photos of Hillsborough and the county has them for the taking, what you
saw if you went to the page was the photo at the lowest res, but if you
go to the bottom of the photo and download it you can now zoom in and
look at much smaller items. Then in my case I am registering them on
a GIS product and inserting them as a underlay on a map. Of course if
I was working on something from another location outside of Hillsborough
I may have to pay and download files from Terraserver or Keyhole, but
in this case they are there. Do not stop at the web sample pix download
the jpeg file and look at it with Gimp, you will see some nice clean pix.
Besides I still like the fact that I do not have to give anyone money for
them, actually they come out of my taxes so I might as well do something
with them.