Re: [SLUG] HDTV-PVR Cookbook using Linux

From: Branko (kozmo3k@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 08:24:09 EST

The above are just some good references.

> Now, as far as what kinda hardware. The main question you need to
> ask, Do you plan to watch HDTV? Do you want the PC to output to a
> HDTV? If so, youll want a pretty good sized machine/cpu. I am
> currently using an AMD 2100+ w/768 MB RAM and it can just do it (this
> is my main frontend). Theres alot of talk on the mythtv-users lists
> about what hardware to use. Knoppmyth is a great distro to use for an
> even like the MythTV Build. Only thing is, the HD capture card that
> Knoppmyth is customized out of the box for is the pcHDTV3000, from
> pchdtv.com. The ai2pc card will work, but you have to install some
> new drivers, compile a few things, etc. Not too hard, and now much
> easier with the 2.6.11 kernel about done, if not already released, as
> that kernel has the drivers for the pcHDTV3000 card, and the air2pc
> card built in. Very nice.
> As far as a location, anywhere is great. Just yesterday, I was at my
> local CompUSA store, in Brandon on Lumsden, behind the mall. I spoke
> with the business managers there, and they offered for free the use of
> one of thier rooms for a build day, along with free internet/wifi, and
> plenty of space to build the PCs. I also know that since i live in
> this area, a set top antenna will be fine for us to use to tune in the
> HD channels, as the transmitter farm is in the Riverview/Brandon
> area. Im not saying we couldnt have a Build Day in anyplace, just
> will have to make sure we have antennas available, HDTVs available,
> and internet access. I was planning on having this even in April of
> this year, so Im still ironing everything out. I would like to try to
> get some media attention, just as many other MythTV Build Days have
> across the country. If anyone has any contacts, let me know. I also
> plan on showing how to use an Xbox as a frontend as well, if any would
> be interested in that. The Happauge MediaMVP has also been hacked to
> be a simple, easy to use and setup frontend, altho I currently dont
> have one so I cant show that as an option, but that may change before
> the event.
>
> Incidentally, the CompUSA store offered the use of their room for SLUG
> meetings in Brandon as well. They said that internet/wifi would be
> available and free, as well as sale prices and specials on produtcs
> they carry. I believe the getleman I spoke with, Sean, said he would
> or was trying to get in contact with whomever he would need to to make
> the offer. Sounds like a nice offer to me. What do others think?
> Tom

The answer to your question, Tom, is definitely yes. I have a HDTV-ready
TV set that I would like to get some use out of (in Hi-Def I mean..)
I visited some of the sites you have mentioned. I really like the idea
if the Mini-ITX format, not only because of its size (easy to fit in a
nice box and blend it in with the rest of the entertainment center), but
it also has VIA 1GHz CPU on-board and dedicated MPEG chip and it
produces very little heat (unlike Athlon XP's - I have 2500 in my main
box and it takes "some" air movement to keep it running cool).
As far as the build day, that's awesome you can get support like that
from CompUSA. I would definitely attend, even thought it would be a road
trip from here (I'll pack a lunch 8-) ). I know we get HD signal up
here: my neighbor just bought HDTV set with tuner built in and he gets
about 6 channel in hi-def over the air. And adding X-Box to the mix
would be a bonus...
So now I have some homework to do and get all the hardware and get ready
for the "B" Day! See you there (or here?).
./Branko