Re: [SLUG] Fwd: Your email requires verification verify#4bg26YuBBDTEKTUcWJc_gMG4KDmFaNOI

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 10:38:22 EST

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:40:11 -0500, Paul M Foster
<paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:49:51PM -0500, jeff wrote:
>
> > On Friday 04 March 2005 2:22, Chuck Hast wrote:
> > > I hate spam as much as anyone but these things coming off of
> > > a list are a royal PITA.
> >
> > Except that they aren't coming from NKS. The headers are all forged, so that
> > it looks like it came from nks. Trace the path back and you will see. :)
>
> You'll have to provide some actual evidence, if you want to make the
> case that the headers are spoofed. They are virtually identical to
> those on the original email on that thread (except for the last hand-off
> to Chuck's gmail account servers). You'd have to on this list to be able
> to replicate the headers that well. And if you're spamming/scamming on
> this list, I will sooner or later find out about it.
>
> This is more likely a challenge-response email system set up by
> nils@codewolf.com, which is coincidentally what it looks like.
>
> I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. If you're running a
> challenge-response system against this list, and you haven't whitelisted
> SLUG mail, you're in danger of being uns*bscr*bed. Challenge-response
> systems sending rafts of challenges to the originators of email on this
> list are as bad as spammers.
>
> If anyone else has received challenges from nils@codewolf.com, please
> let me know.
>
> Paul

Challenge Response, that is exactly what I was looking for and that sure
looks like that is what it is. I recall someone joining another list I
was on, it
was a real PITA until the list admin dropped the noise generator off the
list.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;