Re: [SLUG] Evil Spawn of Init

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 10:55:21 EST

> On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 09:22 -0500, Kwan Lowe wrote:
>> The troubleshooting approach can depend on your distro. You have the right
>> idea in hunting down a bad or missing library. On an RPM distro you could do
>> something like:
>>

>> 1) rpm -qif /sbin/getty
>
> Thanks for your help Kwan. I don't think getty is the culprit here.
> Init says it can't start getty, but only because getty can't start
> (disabled because respawning too fast) because it waiting on another
> broken library. So how do I see what library that is? If I could see
> the full boot message that scrolls past super quickly (not dmesg, and
> not /var/log/messages) I think it might name the problem library. -Eric

Which distro are you running?

Some will have the option to interrupt the boot process (similar to the
Windows confirm mode). You can try pressing "I" when the message pops up, then
confirming each init script. IIRC, this should occur before the rc's start
initializing.

Look in /var/log/boot.log for boot messages. It should get everything after
the kernel initialization.