Re: [SLUG] Wanting to learn C - book suggestions?

From: perthie (perthie@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 11:43:49 EST

--- Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:10:40PM -0500, Christopher Hotchkiss
> wrote:

<snip>

> > > I'm
> good with
> > > learning from examples and other "hands on" methods, like general
> books and
> > > HOWTOs.

Kernighan and Ritchie's book is a must read, however i try to get my
students to read 2 or 3 books at the same time since they present the
information in different ways. go to b&n or borders and compare notes
from a few different sources.

try to do all of the practice problems at the end of every chapter in
every book you're reading, then modify the source of those same
problems to fit a possible real world scenerio *without doing a
complete re-write*.

and finally, lurk in news:comp.lang.c and news:comp.lang.c.moderated.
(some of those guys are authoritative sources on the language since
they sit on the ansi committee. you'll also get a great first hand
experience of just how obnoxious c biggots can be) :)

good luck.

p.s. for some reason, pointers are hard for beginners to grasp, and the
oreilly book "mastering algorithms in c" always seems to help my
students figure it out (besides, it also explains how to implement many
of the things c is missing from c++, and comes with source code you may
use in your own software; the only restriction being you must include
the book name and publisher in each of the source files).