Re: [SLUG] Wanting to learn C - book suggestions?

From: Max F Lang (mflang@bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 19:27:17 EST

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 21:00, Ken Elliott wrote:
> It's old, but "C Primer +" (Waite Group - Sams) was pretty darn
> good. And a good read...
> But I'll bet someone tosses in something written this century...

Well, maybe not *this* century, but pretty darn close: the venerable
The Waite Group's "C Primer Plus" did come out with its initial
third edition printing in 1998, and with newer printings into 2001.
It's a great book for any OS, but it does seem to have a Unix bent
to it. Also, I thought Kelley and Pohl's "A Book on C", fourth
edition, is pretty darn good, and it also has a decent Unix bent.
It also has a *lot* of rather brainy exercises at the end of each
chapter. Some are pretty advanced, algorithmically. It almost beats
K&C for some heavy-duty thinking...

After either of those, I"d say read through Oualline's "Practical C
Programming", an OReilly book. It doesn't really teach C
programming, rather it teaches *better* C programming, going into
areas that the above two books miss. I just wish it had more
exercises, but the ones it has required some deep thought.