Re: [SLUG] {SPAM?} Linux gui programming

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 15 2005 - 08:26:25 EST

> Thanks for all the comments and ideas. I had not considered scripting such as
> perl and xdialog; coupled with subroutines to do the weird stuff they might
> be a quick way to get something up & running.

I think Perl and Python would be great directions for you for hobbyist
projects. Both have many decent gui interfaces, and with the right
tools the GUI loses that "strapped on" feel.

Lots of perl monger types don't much care for python, or python types,
so you may hear some groans :), but I definitely recommend python and
pygame (http://www.pygame.org/). It's a very fast way to get on your
feet, there are some nice tutorials, and if all you want are the basic
widgets, pygame can of course do that to.

I don't think you are going down the 3D road, but if you want to get
into 3D, PyOgre is a fun one (had their official 1.0.0 release last
month http://www.ogre3d.org). OpenGL gets too painful.

That said, here's someone elses opinion of how to pick a widget
library for python: http://www.awaretek.com/toolkits.html (though the
interface is ironically ugly!).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the RH admin/config tools started in Python
with TK/TCL, were redone in Python/Tkinter, and now the system-config
tools are in Python/GTK. Anaconda, too, is largely Python/GTK. I
mention that transition since you specifically stated you wanted to
avoid obsolescense... but really Tkinter is probably in the most
widespread use for mature cross-platform python GUIs (PySol is a
Tkinter app).

Also, since you are just starting out you'd probably be interested in
taking a quick glance at this pdf,
http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/zelle/python/sigcse-handout.pdf (gets into
some GUI info about half-way into it).

my 3 cents ;)