Re: [SLUG] Boot Problem

From: Glenn Meyer (glenn@glennmeyer.com)
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 18:09:18 EST

Ah, no, I had not. When I try to boot with knoppix 3.8, it also hangs
on this machine **UNLESS** I boot with the "acpi=force" option (no, I'm
not smart enough to figure that out on my own - I saw the note in the
first line of the boot process below.)

ACPI: BIOS age (1999) fails cutoff (2001), acpi=force is required to
enable ACPI
audit(1110993293.105:0): initialized

Welcome to the KNOPPIX live Linux-on-CD

Scanning for USB/Firewire devides... Done.
Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/hdb...
Total memory found: 319868 <<-- This is correct 64 built in + 256
Creating /ramdisk (dynamic size=246340k) on shared memory... Done.
Creating unionfs and symlinks on ramdisk...
>> Read-only CD/DVD system successfully merged with read-write /ramdisk
Done.
Starting ini process.
INIT: version 2.78-knoppix booting
Running Linux Kernel 2.6.11.
Processor 0 is Pentium III (Coppermine) 696MHz, 256 KB Cache

(stalls here unless I use the "acpi=force" option at boot)

I then went back to my installation and booted. When I got the Grub
interface, I tried editing the kernel line adding "acpi=force" but it
hung in the same place.

I'm wondering if this is all due to an old BIOS (I just bought this).
Current on the machine is 1999, but I see there is a 2002 version on the
HP/Compaq site. I have downloaded it, but can't install/flash until I
get a floppy drive (just ordered one on ebay).

Thank you all for your suggestions!!