Re: [SLUG] O'reilly books

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 21:23:44 EST

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 20:45 -0500, Aaron Steimle wrote:
> In an attempt to get more swag for our meeting raffles, I have been
> contacting organizations to give us free stuff. I was able to land
> O'reilly as a source of goodies. O'reilly has offered to send us
> whatever books we request for the purpose of raffling them off. They are
> extremely interested in people giving reviews of books their books on
> amazon and slashdot, specifically new books.

So maybe a poll would be a good idea for deciding what books should be
raffled off?

> If anyone is interested in
> a new book coming out or just published and is willing to write a review
> of that book on amazon and or slashdot send me the title and isbn number
> of a book on O'reilly's website and I will pass it along and do my best
> to get the book to you.

I'm guessing this is a separate thing from the above raffle? What
qualifies as "Just published" ? Looking at their catalog, it seems that
60 -70 books are coming up from January 2005 to June 2005. I would like
to see this as a good resource for us, without getting abused. Is there
a limit from them? Or some other kind of "just checking to make sure"
kind of thing?

Russell

Russell Hires <rhires@earthlink.net>