Re: [SLUG] Web Dev/Standards Question

From: jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 09:17:57 EST

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 10:10, Ken Elliott wrote:

> I usually find that Flash is a very bad choice for navigation. It is cool,
> and does let me achieve my vision. The problem is that it doesn't work for
> a high percentage of folks, no matter what Macromedia says. And the same
> thing can be said of JavaScript. I've learned to stay away from both.

Very well said :) The person viewing the page is more important than all the
Flash graphics that can be crammed into a page.

<Rant mode on>
I hate webpages with nothing but whizzy flash and java for navigation. If the
designer absolutely *must* feed his ego and display his prowess with
javascripts and flash, then at least give the users a choice of plain old
html that any browser can display correctly, or "super whizzy and might
freeze your browser before the link opens".
<Rant mode off>

It doesn't matter how awesome the graphics are if it hangs the browser before
the page even loads. Given the amount of malware on the web these days, a web
page that crashes browsers will likely be viewed as containing malicious code
by those affected. Not a good way to build a reputation as a web designer.

Jeff