Re: [SLUG] DMA doesn't seem to be be working, but everything looks aok...

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 13:31:27 EST

Hmm, does DMA work for the HD but not for the DVD? They have the same IDE
controller (unless at least one of them is on an add-in card).

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Eric Jahn wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 00:17 -0500, Eben King wrote:

> > [*] ATA Work(s) In Progress (EXPERIMENTAL)
>
> don't seem to have that one.

No matter, it only enables some selections, it doesn't do anything itself.

> I have: <M> AMD and nVidia IDE support

"This driver adds explicit support for AMD-7xx and AMD-8111 chips and also
for the nVidia nForce chip."

Is that what you have?

> Could it be my modules aren't getting loaded? Okay, here is my lsmod
> output while running a dvd movie:
> amd74xx 14768 1
> It looks like every module is being loaded for ide.

At least the one that should matter.

> I'm thinking that my hardware is not being supported by the modules
> available. Sounds like I just need to wait for a later kernel version to
> come downstream.

Ideas:
1. Maybe you have a 40-(not 80-)conductor cable on the DVD?
2. Maybe the controller/driver really sucks and only does DMA for the
     primary interface?
2.1. Try booting a different OS (LiveCD, OS CD, Wind*ws, whatever) & see if
     it supports DMA on the DVD.
2.3. Also switch primary/secondary IDE & see what happens.
2.3. Run "modinfo amd74xx" to see if there are any options you need.

--
The powers in charge keep us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor
with the cry of national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil to