Re: [SLUG] Spyware Removal Program

From: perthie (perthie@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 11:07:13 EST

--- Joe Brandt <vzd1s11k@verizon.net> wrote:
> I realise that this is off topic .... but ...
> There are lots of PC Techs in this list, does anyone know of a CD
> based
> spyware removal tool. I have a small side business helping my
> friends
> and co-workers with their computers. The most prevalent problem now
> is
> spyware. I am looking for a CD based solution that I could clean up
> their systems with instead of suggesting that they buy a commercial
> version that does not work that well anyway.

here, we have a windows xp bootable cd with ad-aware, spybot search &
destroy, microsoft's anti spyware program, registry first aid (the free
version is crippled), avg free, hijack this, startup control panel, ms
baseline security analyzer, winsockxpfix.exe (works on 9x too), and
powertoys for windows xp (aka tweakui). additionally, we have a
supplementary disk with service pack 2, taskman.exe (some viruses
destroy this program), tasklist.exe (xp home doesnt have it), nslookup
(windows 9x doesnt have it), userinit.exe (some viruses destroy this
program), the installers for ie 5.5, ie 6.0, ie 6 sp1, windows script
(viruses corrupt all of them) and various miscellaneous tools for
testing, debgging, optimizing, expanding archives, and benchmarking
(most is free, some isn't).

> Second is there a PC Tech forum like this one that is quasi-local?

none that i know of, but 99% of all questions can be answered by
searching google. the remaining 1% we deal with by reinstalling.