Re: [SLUG] loading a module at boot

From: Christopher Hotchkiss (christopher.hotchkiss@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 22:40:56 EDT

On Apr 3, 2005 10:20 PM, Mario Lombardo <mario@alienscience.com> wrote:

> Whenever I rebooted my box, I would lose my video driver:
>
> I noticed no 'nvidia" module with lsmod, so I did the following:
>
> modprobe nvidia
>
> and I got this as a result:
>
> nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
> NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-6629 Wed Nov 3
> 13:12:51 PST 2004
>
> startx works fine now.
>
> I noticed this in /etc/modules.conf:
>
> alias char-major-195 nvidia
>
> It sure looks like it would load, but why doesn't it? Should I have
> something
> else in /etc/modules.conf to have this load permanently? I'm using FC3
>
> /mario

Okay this is what I have in my /etc/modules.conf for nvidia:
alias char-major-195 nvidia
alias /dev/nvidiactl char-major-195

Also be sure that the nvidia driver is built for your kernel.

OT BTW: GMail just went crazy over April 1st! It doubled my disk space and
they added a richedit control. YAY!!!

--
Christopher Hotchkiss
(813)960-9273