Re: [SLUG] Mac G3 and Yellow Dog Linux

From: Matt Burke (matthew@textbox.net)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 22:27:50 EDT

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 17:01 -0400, Russ Wright wrote:
> Hey all
>
> I just had a Power Macintosh G3 donated to me. It is a lot of fun to
> play with but MAC OS 9 kinda sucks. I'd like to load Yellow Dog Linux
> on it and I was curious if anyone on the list had attempted such a
> thing.

A friend of mine recently loaded YDL4 on his Bondi blue iMac (the first
gen) and said that he was having problems with video and sound. When he
loaded YDL3 everything worked like a charm.

Be it that I don't really care for RedHat, I would suggest that you
check out Ubuntu for PPC. Everything in it is _very_ current and if you
have used Debian you will be right at home with Ubuntu - it's basically
Debian with current software and a 6 month release cycle (correct me if
I'm wrong). I tested the Ubuntu PPC live CD on an iMac DV SE (400MHz
slot-loading dvd) and everything worked flawless.

Ubuntu for PowerPC install info: http://tinyurl.com/553v3

Please let us know how it all turns out!

Matthew Burke - Textbox Networks
[w] http://textbox.net [e] matthew@textbox.net
10:27pm up 2 days 21:58, 6 users, load average: 1.08, 0.89, 0.91