Re: [SLUG] Is it possible ??

From: John Pugh (jpugh@NOVELL.COM)
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 07:54:29 EDT

I'll bet the problem is that the kernel ABI was modified from 8.x to 9.x and that would simply require a recompile with the most current kernel source from 9.2 (9.3 is the latest by the way - and WAY different than 9.2 - mucho better laptop support!!!). If you can get the source from him you can recompile easily and you might just get lucky enough to not have to make any changes! I don't know if lifting it from knoppix will work, but it's worth a try.

JP

>>> rnr@sanctum.com 04/11/05 2:29 am >>>
OK Sluggers, tell me !

Running SuSE 9.2  64 bit.   Used to have the Ace of Penguins (card
games) that my wife loved running and working in SuSE 8.2 (32 bit)
Tried to reinstall it in 9.2 but did not work properly and wife made
comments like, "I don't know why you have to do all of those upgrade
things and mess up the things I like".

Wrote the author several months ago and he replied that he would make up
a new package when he found the time. That has not happened.

However, I have a 32 bit Knoppix disk that has those games on it and
they play as expected. (64 bit also supports 32 bit applications)

Question is:  Can I somehow "lift" the package from the Knoppix disk and
install it into my SuSe 9.2 ??

Please give it some thought and let me know what you think.  Really need
to overcome those "mess up" comments.

Bob S.
Knowledge Systems (NKS).  Views and opinions expressed in messages